Here in the Northeast we are heading into first real cold spell of winter- which makes it the perfect time to warm up the kiddos with a mug of hot chocolate! At our house we prefer to make our own large-sized tub of homemade hot cocoa mix rather than buying those expensive single-serving pouches at the grocery store. And we think this recipe tastes better too!
- 4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (I prefer Hersheys or Ghiradelli)
- 1 cup of mini-sized semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of powdered nondairy creamer
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Mix all of the ingredients in one large tub until well blended.
- Add hot water to 3-4 tablespoons of the homemade hot cocoa mix and stir well! Add marshmallows if desired! Enjoy!
- Makes one very large tub of cocoa mix… enough to last one large-sized family a few months! (About 8 cups of hot cocoa mix)
Container and Label:
The plastic container that I use to store our hot cocoa mix is a recycled food container from a prior use in my home- I can't even recall what was originally in it! But you can find a similar one here from Rubbermaid in the 6-quart size (lid sold separately).
And if you'd like to print a copy of the label I created, simply sign up here to join the MomOf6 Busy Moms Community, and I'll send you the free printable Hot Cocoa Mix label!
*Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through these links. It’s a great way to support a blogger!