I think few foods are as comforting to the soul as homemade macaroni and cheese. The creaminess of the sauce, the hearty and filling pasta, the way that it makes you feel a bit like a kid again when you dig into that first forkful. The macaroni and cheese recipe that is our family favorite includes a white sauce base, a little bit of heavy cream and a nice sprinkling of a Ritz cracker-cheddar cheese crumble on top.
So in case you are still feeding your kids that bright orange stuff out of a box- let me show you how we “do” macaroni and cheese casserole for dinner at the Rowley house!
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese Casserole Recipe:
- 1 box of elbow macaroni, cooked according to the packaging instructions
- 1½ Tablespoons of butter
- 1½ Tablespoons of flour
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of pepper
- 1½ cups of milk (I use generally use skim milk)
- 1 cup of cubed Velveeta cheese
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella
- ½ cup of cream
- ½ sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ¼ cup of shredded cheddar
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Blend in the flour and seasonings. Cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is smooth, bubbly and aromatic.
- Stir in the milk slowly, carefully blending your white sauce base with the milk. Continue stirring while you bring it to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Return half of the macaroni to the pot you originally prepared it in, and layer ½ cup of Velveeta, half of the shredded cheddar and mozzarella, and half of the white sauce.
- Repeat the layering with the remaining macaroni, Velveeta, cheddar, mozzarella and white sauce.
- Cook over low heat and stir constantly until the cheese and white sauce has melted into creamy delicious. Then add the ½ cup of heavy cream and stir.
- Pour your cheesy macaroni mixture into your casserole dish.
- Melt the 2 Tablespoons of butter in the microwave and add the crushed Ritz crackers and the ¼ cup of cheddar cheese. Stir together until it forms into a crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle on top of your macaroni and cheese casserole.
- Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 20 minutes.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!