I love to serve appetizers to my family as a fun “snacky” meal- especially on a night when we might be gathering together to enjoy a family movie night or maybe watch a college football game! And these mini crab cakes served with basil mayonnaise are a family favorite!
How to Make the Mini Crab Cakes
The first step is to make the basil mayonnaise by preparing the basil (blanching it in boiling water and then plunging it into an ice bath before chopping it into fine pieces) and then mixing the other ingredients together to form the mayo. You will use 1/2 cup of this mayo in the crab cake itself.
To prepare the crab cakes, you'll saute celery and onion in a skillet first- and then add it to the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using a 1/3 cup of the crab mixture, use your hands to form round mini crab cakes.
You will then dip each crab cake in flour following by an egg wash and finally breadcrumbs- and then cook the crab cakes in a bit of vegetable oil over medium heat until they are golden brown.
Mini Crab Cakes with Basil Mayonnaise Recipe
- 40 fresh whole basil leaves
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup of onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound lump crabmeat (we use canned crabmeat for this)
- ⅔ cups breadcrumbs
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Blanch the basil in boiling water for 30 seconds, and then plunge into an ice bath to cool. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Finely chop the basil.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients along with the chopped basil. Set aside ½ cup of basil mayonnaise to use in the crab cakes. The rest can be placed into a serving container.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, and saute the chopped celery and onion until tender (about 5 minutes). Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add in the remaining crab cakes ingredients- stirring together to combine.
- Use a ⅓ measuring cup, scoop crab mixture and form round cakes using your hands. Place onto a baking sheet.
- Place flour in a small bowl, whisk together the 3 large eggs in a 2nd bowl, and place 2 cups of breadcrumbs in a 3rd bowl.
- Take each crab cake, dip both sides in the flour, then the beaten egg, and coat both sides with the breadcrumbs, returning to the baking sheet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add crab cakes in batches, cooking until golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes per side).
- Serve warm with basil mayonnaise for dipping.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!