An Olympic themed party is a great idea to celebrate a 6-year-old's birthday! This post will give you everything you need- free printable invitations and thank you notes, ideas for Olympic party games, Olympic party favors, the cake- and more! You'll see why this is one of our favorite kids birthday parties to throw at home!
We held our Olympics themed party outside- with all of the games played in our driveway and on our lawn, and we set up a few tables under the shade of a big tree for our snacks and birthday cake.
Olympic Themed Party Invitations
I know that it is so easy to send one of those pre-programmed e-vites that you can find online- but I love to send out something a little more unique and personalized towards the party that I am planning. Plus I love to print out an invite and hang it in our kitchen command center so that the birthday boy or girl can see it every day in anticipation of their big day!
You can download a copy of the blank version of this invite along with an Olympics themed thank you note and favor tags at the end of this post!
The Olympics “Opening Ceremony”
When the guests first arrived, we had them decorate some flags to represent different nations, and then we kicked off our party with an “opening ceremony.”
The birthday boy ran around our driveway carrying the Olympic torch (a paper towel tube covered in foil, with red, yellow, and orange tissue paper coming out of the top). We made a playlist for the party including the traditional Olympic fanfare music!
Olympic Themed Party Games for Kids- Our Events!
We planned 10 different games for the kids for this party:
1. Relay Running Race– painted paper towel rolls served as the batons to pass
2. Belly Balloon Break– kids had to run from the starting point over to where the balloons were set out, and had to break the balloon with their partner using only their bellies
3. Standing Long Jump– we used sidewalk chalk to create a starting line, and after each guest long-jumped, we drew a chalk mark for their finishing point.
4. Shoe Find– the guests took off their shoes, and we tossed all of them into a laundry basket, carried them to the other end of the yard, and scattered them. When we yelled “GO!” they had to run across the yard, find and put on their shoes, and return to the finish line (of course kids with velcro shoes fared better than those with laces!)
5. Frisbee Toss (to mimic a discus throw)
**At this point we stopped for a popsicle break to cool everyone down!**
6. Wrap the mummy game- each team had to use an entire roll of toilet paper to wrap up one of their teammates.
7. Three-Legged Race– using bandanas to tie their legs
8. Hula Hoop game– each of the two team members had to line up and hold hands. The hula hoop had to pass from one end of the line to the other and back again without letting go of their hands.
9. Heads Up Toss– teammates toss bean bags into a bowl held on top of another teammates head
10. Obstacle Course– the kids had to walk a chalk line while looking through the wrong end of plastic binoculars , ride a tricycle to the next line, hula hoop 5 times, and then put on a frozen tee shirt (an over-sized shirt that had been soaked in water, folded in half and then placed in the freezer overnight). The frozen tee shirt makes a hilarious ending, and cools off the party guests!
Olympic Birthday Party Cake
I created this cake by baking a sheet cake and then using this template that I printed, cut out of paper, and then used my template to cut the sheet cake into the shape of the joined Olympic rings.
Our Olympic Closing Ceremonies and Party Favors
We completed our party with an “official medal ceremony” where each guest received an Olympic medal while we played the National Anthem.
Each guest took home a plastic sports water bottle that was personalized with their name and a favor tag as a party favor.
Would You Like to Download the Free Olympic Party Printables?
Great! Simply sign up below to join the MomOf6 community! You'll receive instant access to our entire library of free printables and our twice-weekly newsletter will be headed to your inbox too!
Check out some more awesome Kids Birthday Party Ideas:
- Lego Birthday Party
- Minute to Win It Birthday Party
- “American Ninja Warrior” Party
- Cupcake Wars Birthday Party
Check out all of our Kids Birthday Parties here:
Do you think your kids would love this Olympic themed birthday party?