If you are a fan of a shortbread cookie- then you will love this soft chewy butter cookie cut outs recipe! To keep things simple, I color half of my dough with red food coloring and the other half with green food coloring- no icing or sprinkles needed! A perfect holiday cookie!
When I cut out the shapes for this cookie, I use my tiny cookie cutters like these (about an inch tall). Because the dough makes a very soft butter cookie, cutting them into larger shapes may cause them to fall apart. (Of course they would still taste as good but they wouldn't be as pretty!)
And like any cut-out cookie- making them on parchment paper helps them to keep their shape!
Butter Cookie Cut-Outs Recipe:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 small package (3 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Red and green food coloring
- Powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla for 3 minutes. Add flour and continue beating 2 to 3 minutes until blended. Divide dough into 2 portions.
- Beat red food coloring into ½ of the dough; wrap and chill in the fridge. Clean the bowl and beat green coloring into remaining ½ of the dough; wrap.
- Chill at least 2 hours, or overnight, until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a surface sprinkled with powdered sugar, separately roll out the 2 colors of dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut out cookies with small cookie cutters dipped in powdered sugar, and place 1 inch apart on parchment covered baking sheets. (You can use scraps of one colored dough to decorate a cookie of another color.)
- Bake 7 to 10 minutes, until the edges are very lightly browned. Remove from baking sheets to wire racks and cool completely.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!