This makes the most delicious holiday gift for the important people in your life- like the teachers and coaches that help your kids, the lady who grooms your dog, and the awesome couple at the dry cleaners who launder and press your husband's shirts every week. All of them deserve an extra-special thank you this time of year- and this homemade peppermint bark recipe gives you a great way to do just that!
Enlist the help of a child (or two) to unwrap the candy canes, place them in a ziptop bag and break them into teeny pieces. While they are doing that, you can begin by melting the white chocolate in the microwave and stir until smooth. Add in the crushed candy canes and peppermint extract and stir again.
Pour onto a cookie sheet lined in parchment paper and smooth to an even depth.
Chill for 30 minutes and then break into pieces. Place into small cellophane bags to give as gifts!
- 1 36-oz bag of white chocolate chips
- 1 box of 12 candy canes
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- Unwrap the 12 candy canes and place in a zip-top bag. Crush the candy canes into small bits using the end of a rolling pin (be careful- the ziptop bag will get some tears in it while you do this).
- Place the white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir the chips (even though they don't seem melted yet). Return the bowl to the microwave and cook on high for another minute.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add the crushed candy canes and peppermint extract to the melted chocolate. Stir to blend.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a large rimmed cookie sheet, lined in parchment paper. Use a spatula to spread the chocolate to an even depth across the length and width of the pan.
- Cool in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden. Break into small pieces to serve.
I hope you enjoy this peppermint bark recipe as much as we do!