I love to make a meal out of appetizers– putting them all out buffet-style with a stack of small white plates and allow everyone to take a bit of this and a bit of that to make a design-your-own dinner. One of my favorite appetizers are these sweet and sour meatballs served in a tasty tangy sauce!
How to Make Sweet & Sour Meatballs
The recipe starts by mixing together and forming the meatballs.
While the meatballs bake in the oven, start the sweet and sour sauce on the stovetop, bringing it to a simmer.
Add the meatballs to the sauce and allow them to simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
Sweet & Sour Meatballs Recipe
- 1 lb. hamburger
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 cup of fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 minced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Mix all of the meatballs ingredients together, and then form meatballs.
- Place on a rimmed cookie sheet lined with non-stick foil and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
- Saute onion and garlic in butter. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add meatballs and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.