I love experimenting with different kinds of coatings when baking chicken breasts in the oven. One of my favorites is crushed cornflakes, another is crushed Ritz crackers, and of course, breadcrumbs and Panko. But have you tried using fried onions as a coating? It is absolutely delicious! This baked fried-onion crusted chicken recipe is so simple- it's almost a non-recipe dinner recipe!
I love recipes that only need a few simple ingredients that you likely have on hand all of the time- it makes it so easy to pull this together as a weeknight meal!
I place the fried onions into a zip-top bag and crush them into fine pieces using a rolling pin . I then dip the chicken breasts into the beaten eggs and then coat them with the crushed fried onions.
They only take about 15-20 minutes to bake in a 13×9 pan – long enough to toss together a salad, and prepare small cups of ranch dressing for dipping! (Are mine the only kids who adore dipping everything in ranch dressing?)
Baked Fried Onion Crusted Chicken Recipe
- 2 packages of thin-sliced chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 2 containers of fried onions
- Dump the fried onions into a zip top bag, remove most of the air and zip closed. Using a rolling pin, crush the fried onions into tiny pieces.
- Beat the two eggs together in a pie dish.
- Dip the chicken breasts into the beaten eggs to coat, and then into the crushed fried onions.
- Place into 2 13x9 baking pans, and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!