Here's a recipe for a delicious pasta dish- bow ties with sausage and tomato-cream sauce! It's got a bit of a spicy kick to it, but you can leave out the red pepper flakes if your kids won't eat anything spicy. It can be prepared pretty quickly- so it works as a weeknight meal, but it is also a great dish to serve when hosting a dinner for friends!
How to Make Bow Ties with Sausage and Tomato-Cream Sauce:
Brown the sausage on the stove in a skillet along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the sausage is nearly cooked through, add 1/2 teaspoon of dried crushed red pepper flakes. This will give the dish a bit of a kick!
Meanwhile, prepare the tomato sauce base by first sauteing onions and garlic (nothing better!), then add in the crushed tomatoes and allow to simmer.
Add in the cream-
Followed by the cooked sausage. allow to simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens- then it's ready to serve!
Bow Ties with Sausage and Tomato-Cream Sauce Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage with the casings removed
- ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes (this is optional)
- ½ cup of finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup of whipping cream
- 1 lb box of bow tie pasta
- Brown the sausage on the stove in a skillet along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the sausage is nearly cooked through, add ½ teaspoon of dried crushed red pepper flakes. This will give the dish a bit of a kick!
- Remove the sausage from the pan and drain it to reduce the amount of fat. Saute the ½ cup of chopped onion and 3 minced garlic cloves in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add one 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes, and ½ cup of whipping cream.
- Heat until it begins to simmer. Then add back in the sausage. Reduce heat to low and then simmer about 3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- This can all be made ahead of time, and the prepared sauce can be stored in the fridge. At dinnertime, boil the pasta as directed and re-warm the sauce. Serve the sauce over the pasta.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!