Mmm…. french fries topped with melted cheese AND bacon…. who wouldn't love some of that? But did you know that this is a dish that can easily be pulled together by your kids and then cooked on top of the grill? And there is virtually no clean up? Sign me up!
We had the kids make these delicious grilled cheesy fries as part of our daughter's 10th birthday party- that was themed around a cooking show (more on that to come soon!).
You begin by making the bacon… and trust me- if you've never made bacon in your toaster oven- you are doing it that hard way! I simply line the pan with non-stick foil, layer 4 strips of thick-cut bacon on top and pop it into the toaster oven (using fan-bake) at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes, until it is nice and crispy. After it has cooled, crumble the bacon.
Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter to your bag of frozen french fries and then, while holding the top closed, shake it all up.
Divide the french fries into four foil packets, and place on the grill for 20-25 minutes until they are cooked through. Be sure to allow for a generous opening at the top so that steam can escape- otherwise your fries may end up soggy!
Sprinkle on the crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese. Close the grill cover and allow to cook for 2-5 minutes longer or until the cheese is all melty!
- 1 bag of frozen french fries
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (or more)
- 1/2 Tablespoons of crumbled cooked bacon (or more)
- non-stick foil
- In a large zip top bag, combine the fries and melted butter. Shake well to coat.
- Cut four sheets of foil, about 10 inches long. Fold the sides to create a tray. Place fries inside. Loosely fold foil over the fries, leaving a large hole at the top for steam to escape.
- Place on hot grill and cover for 20-25 minutes until fries are crispy and baked through. Remove from the grill.
- Top each packet with a generous amount of shredded cheddar and crumbled bacon.
- Cook for 2-5 more minutes until the cheese is melted.