We eat a lot of fruit here at my house, which I buy in fairly large quantities each week at the grocery store. But when the bananas start getting all brown and spotty- suddenly no one wants to eat them! So what's a Mom to do? Why make the world's best homemade banana bread ever- of course! It's one of our favorite breakfast recipes!
Picky kids! But fear not- I've found the perfect way to use those spotty, slightly mushy bananas- one that leads to all kinds of deliciousness!
Put your two ripe (or even overripe) bananas in your mixing bowl and using a potato masher, mash them all up until they are nice and gooey.
Next, add in your eggs. (And allow me to pause this recipe for one moment to show you these gorgeous greenish-hued eggs given to me by my friend Joanne who owns “Easter egg” chickens! Who even knew there was such a thing?)
Combine all of the remaining ingredients in your mixing bowl and combine well (you can use either a mixer or you can do this by hand). Transfer to prepared pan and bake until top is golden brown about 1 hour and 20 minutes until it looks like this:
Trust me- you'll never throw away another over-ripe banana again!
Homemade Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 ripe (or even overripe) medium bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups of sugar
- ½ cups of vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Put your two bananas in your mixing bowl and using a potato masher, mash them all up until they are nice and gooey.
- All all of the remaining ingredients into your mixing bowl and combine well (you can use either a mixer or you can do this by hand).
- Transfer to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until top is golden brown- about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!