I think that chicken legs are so much more juicy and delicious when they are roasted in the oven and then finished on the grill! And should the weather outside be not-so-nice, you can skip the grill finish and just add the BBQ sauce and broil them to finish them! Here's how we make our oven-roasted BBQ chicken legs for dinner!
One of the best parts about making BBQ chicken legs is that it is SO inexpensive. One package of 14 drumsticks costs less than $4! That's fantastic for our family of 8!
A “pro tip” is to cover a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick foil. This ensures that the roasting chicken won't stick to the pan, and it makes for easier cleanup!
I give each chicken leg a generous shake of Lawry's Seasoning Salt. And then roast the chicken legs in the oven for 20 minutes.
Once the chicken is cooked through- you can choose to finish it in the oven, or on the grill (which is my first choice if the weather cooperates!)
Add your favorite BBQ Sauce (we're fans of Kraft Original), brushing on both sides. Then either return the chicken to the oven for 10 more minutes to allow the sauce to brown a bit, or finish it on the grill.
Remove the chicken from the oven or grill and either take an internal temperature (using a meat thermometer) to ensure the chicken has reached 170 degrees, or cut into the leg at the thickest part close to the bone and make sure that it is no longer pink. (Serving undercooked chicken is a bad thing!)
Oven-roasted BBQ chicken is delicious and tastes yummy no matter which way you finish it!
Oven-Roasted BBQ Chicken Legs Recipe:
- 1 family-sized package of chicken legs
- Lawry's seasoning salt
- bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
- Cover a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick foil.
- Give each chicken leg a generous shake of Lawry's Seasoning Salt.
- Place the chicken in a 375-degree preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and using your favorite BBQ Sauce, brush the chicken legs with the sauce. Using tongs, turn each leg over and brush the other side as well.
- If you plan to finish the chicken in the oven, turn the oven temp to broil and return the chicken to the oven for 5-10 more minutes to allow the sauce to brown a bit.
- Alternatively, you can finish the chicken on the grill tog et that true BBQ flavor!
- Remove the chicken from the oven and either take an internal temperature (using a meat thermometer) to ensure the chicken has reached 170 degrees, or cut into the leg at the thickest part close to the bone and make sure that it is no longer pink.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!
What grilling favorites do you make indoors in the winter? Leave a comment and share!