My kids LOVE strawberries! I could start naming strawberry foods they love the way that Forrest Gump's buddy Bubba names shrimp dishes- Strawberry Milkshakes, Strawberry Pie, Sliced Strawberries in cereal, Strawberries dipped in Cool Whip, Chocolate-covered Strawberries, Strawberries pastries- you get the idea. So I love to surprise them with a delicious strawberry-inspired after school snack! This easy homemade Strawberry Cream Pie absolutely fits the bill!
While it takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, you'll want to get a head start on this one and start prepping the pie right after the kids get on the bus in the morning so it has time to chill and set up during the day. But really- the steps are so very simple- and the results are oh-so-delicious!
Mix together the graham cracker crumbs with a bit of sugar and melted butter, and then press the mixture into your pie dish using the back of a spoon. (Of course you can skip this step and simply use a store-bought graham cracker crust!)
Combine the sliced strawberries with sugar, vanilla extract and cornstarch on the stovetop to simmer and soften.
Blend your strawberry mixture together into a smooth consistency.
After the strawberry mixture has cooled for a few minutes, mix it into the fluffy Cool Whip to create the creamy pie filling goodness- and pour into your prepared pie crust.
That's it! Your work is done! Simply allow the pie to chill for 6 hours before serving it to the kiddos as a yummy after school snack!
- 1¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 T melted butter
- *Or you can use a purchased graham cracker crust!
- 1 lb. strawberries- washed, hulled, and sliced
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 t cornstarch
- 1 8-oz tub of Cool Whip
- Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter and press into the bottom and partially up the sides your pie dish using the back of the spoon.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- Place the sliced strawberries, ½ cup sugar, and vanilla extract in a saucepan and bring to a simmer under low heat (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly. Add in the cornstarch and continue stirring until mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
- Remove from the stove top and blend the strawberries to a smooth consistency. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, empty the contents of the tub of Cool Whip, and then fold in the strawberry mixture.
- Pour pie filling into the prepared graham cracker crust, and chill in the fridge for 6-8 hours to allow the pie to set.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!