Motherhood is one tough, all-encompassing, daily battle through the laundry, lunch boxes, carpools, and endless school papers kind of gig. When your to-do list is long, and your hours feel short- you need some routines and structure in your life to help you to manage your time! Here's exactly how to get organized when you are a busy Mom!
So Why Do You Want to be an Organized Mom Anyway?
If there's one thing I've learned from parenting 6 kids- it's that when I feel in control of my schedule, when I know where I need to be and at what time, when my home is picked up and uncluttered and I can find whatever it is that I am looking for, and when I have a game plan of what I need to accomplish each day and can check a few things off of my list- I feel less stressed.
I am more patient with my kids. I don't get that panicky feeling that tells me I am forgetting something (or someone) somewhere!
Life just runs more smoothly. And I am a happier person.
And I bet you feel the same way.
(And I love this story from Good Housekeeping about how another Mom feel her life changed when she got organized!)
So why is it so darn hard to get organized?
How many times have you vowed to get organized? Every back to school season? Every New Year's Day? Every Monday morning?
Yet somehow- life gets in the way! And we feel that we just don't have the time to get organized- because as a busy Mom- there is always something or someone that demands our immediate attention.
We see Marie Kondo's method of decluttering your entire home at once by pulling everything we own out of our closets or cupboards- and think- THERE IS JUST NO WAY!
And we wonder- where do we even begin?
By becoming a “Mom with a plan”.
The First Step in Mom Organization: Decide Where to Begin
Saying you want to “get organized” is kind of a broad commitment. And it's just not realistic to tackle a whole-life organizing makeover all at once! So where do you want to begin?
There are likely some areas of your life that are working well, and some that could use a little polishing.
Take a moment to consider:
- Do you and your family use routines in the morning to make the process of getting out the door smooth? Do you rely on evening routines to get your family ready for the next day?
- Do you feel on top of your schedule- know where and when you have appointments and commitments?
- Aside from raising these small humans, do you struggle with understanding your life's purpose? And how to make any progress towards your own personal goals?
- Do you feel buried in paper- mail, bills, fliers, permission slips, invitations, sports schedules, magazines, and more?
Think about your answers to the questions above and decide what area of your busy life you'd like to tackle first!
The Organized Mom Method of Getting Control Over Your Time!
If you are ready to get started- well then this is IT! These posts will walk you through a total overhaul of your in-home systems and routines that can help you to quickly become more organized. But sometimes we fail to start- because we just don't know where to begin. This post is a great place to get you started!
- 6 Steps to Help You Start to Organize Your Life!
Set Your Priorities:
If you really want to get organized with your time, then you want to make sure that the things you spend your time on are actually leading you to accomplish what you most want in life. And that means you need to set some goals!
But before you jump into setting goals- take some time to reflect on where you've been- what's been working for you, what were your recent accomplishments, and what makes you feel happy?
- Use this free printable gratitude list to write down your thoughts
The next step is to set some very specific goals and make a plan for achieving each of them (using the SMART method of goal setting which I explain in this post):
- Use this great goal setting worksheet to set you up for success for the rest of the year!
Once you've laid out your intentions, you'll need to break down your longer-term goals into weekly actionable steps and have a way to check in with yourself to make sure that you are staying on track!
- These daily goals tracking and weekly goals tracking sheets will do just that!
Use a Good Family Calendar
The fastest way to get control over your life is to get all of your appointments and commitments down onto a family calendar. Ideally- one that you can share with your significant other and even your kids (when they're ready).
- The Best Family Calendars for 2019!
- The Best Planners for Busy Moms for 2019!
- The Best Planners for Students for the 2019-2020 School Year!
- 5 Ways Using a Family Calendar Can Improve Your Life!
Create a Command Center
The idea behind having a functional command center is that you have one place where you put EVERYTHING you need- your important papers, your calendar, your to-do list, your grocery list, your incoming mail, and all of that paper that the kids bring home from school. It can serve as the family communication center and keeps everyone in sync!
- Why Every Mom Needs a Family Command Center
- The Best Family Command Centers to Help Busy Moms Stay Organized
- 5 Tips to Manage Your Things to Do List
- How to Put Your To Do List in Your Calendar (and keep everything in one place!)
- 15 Perfect Paper To Do Lists for Busy Moms!
- How to Get Things Done: 6 Tips to Help You Cross More Items Off Of Your To-Do List!
- How Busy Moms Organize Paperwork
- 6 Mail Organizer Ideas
- How to Tackle Mail Organization
- How to Get to Inbox Zero!
Create Family Routines & Habits
Family routines for yourself and for your kids that outline the steps of what you need to do and the order in which you need to do them to get through a particular part of the day make our lives SO much easier!
- The Best Chore Charts for Kids!
- How to Create a Morning Routine for Kids
- How to Create an After School Routine
- How to Create a Bed Time Routine for Kids
- How to Create an Evening Routine for Moms
- 5 Helpful Habits for Busy Moms
- Create a Habit of Putting Things Away Right Away!
Embrace Menu Planning
Menu planning is truly one of the best tools you can use in your quest to organize your life! When you know what you plan to serve for dinner each night of the coming week, you can make sure that you buy what you need during your weekly trip to the grocery store. A menu plan allows you to know if you need to take something out of the freezer ahead of time to defrost….. and the best part of all- is that the 5:00 pm hour seems a heck of a lot calmer because you are just executing a prepared plan… vs trying to think of one!
- How to Start Menu Planning
- How to Create a Magnetic Menu Planning Board
- 10 Great Menu Board Ideas
- The Fastest Way to Start Weekly Menu Planning
- Free Printable Grocery List
- 3 Quick Tips to Save Money at the Grocery Store Every Week!
How to Get Organized In Your Home
You know the old saying “a place for everything and everything in its place”? Well, there's a reason why that expression is still around- because order in our home leads to order and a sense of peace in our lives. When we are surrounded by clutter and “too much stuff” it becomes much more challenging to find whatever it is we are looking for. We end up buying duplicates (or more!) of things we already have because we can't find it. It drains our wallets and drains our sanity too!
But keeping a neat and clean home does not need to take up a ton of your time to get in shape and to maintain. It's about tackling projects in small “bite-sized” pieces to get your home the way you want it, and then creating habits that allow you to keep it that way!
Declutter and Clean
- How to Declutter– A Drawer, A Closet, A Room, Your Entire Home! (free printable instructions!)
- You CAN Declutter Your Home in Just 20 Minutes a Day
- 20-Minute Decluttering Projects You Can Do!
- How to Keep a Clean House When You Have Lots of Kids!
- Spring Cleaning Lists & Hacks
- 20 Fantastic Hidden Storage Ideas for Your Home
- You CAN Declutter Your Kitchen in 7 Days!
- 12 Awesome Pantry Organization Ideas!
- How to Organize Your Pantry
- How to Create An Organized Homework Space in the Kitchen
- How to Organize a Junk Drawer
- How to Organize Your Recycling
- 12 Organized Closet Ideas
- How to Design and Install a DIY Custom Closet in Your Kids' Closets
- How to Organize a Kids Closet So 2 Kids Can Share 1 Closet
- How to Transition Your Child's Closet and Clothing – Across Sizes and Seasons!
- How to Take Care of Kids Clothing So It Can Be Handed Down
- How to Clean Out and Organize Your Coat Closet
- How to Clean Out Your Closets in 5 Minute Bursts
- How to Declutter Your Bathroom in 2 Hours
- Bathroom Storage Ideas for a Storage Challenged Bathroom
- Organizing Ideas for a Kids Shared Bathroom
- 20 Great Ideas to Get Your Kids Room Organized!
- 20 Organized Kids Bedroom Ideas!
- Teaching Kids How to Keep Your Room Clean (in 4 Easy Steps!)
- The Best Jewelry Organizers!
Laundry Room/Mud Room
- 10 Organized Laundry Room Ideas
- 12 Ideas for Entryway and Mud Room Organization
- How to Declutter Your Entryway and Mudroom
- Organizing Sunscreen & Sunglasses– So You Don't Forget Them!
- 10 Home Office Organization Ideas!
- The Best Charging Stations For Powering Your Devices and Hiding Cord Clutter
- 12 Organized Garage Ideas
- How to Organize Your Garage
- The Great Garage Challenge (Makeover and Reveal!)
- Our Basement Declutter Project (great before/after pics and tips!)
- How to Create a Teen Hangout Space in Your Basement
- Tips for Creating a Multipurpose Basement
- Packing for a Road Trip– How to Organize the Inside of Your Car
- 5 Things to Keep In Your Car When Your Kids Play Sports
Moving a Teen Into College?
How to Get Organized With Your Family
Managing your family brings its own set of organizing challenges! How do you keep on top of all of their medical records, the “treasures” they bring home from school, their sports equipment? And how in the world do you organize the thousands of photos and videos that you take? Here are some answers:
- How to Keep Medical Records for Your Kids
- How to Store Kids Artwork, Report Cards & School Projects
- How Can You Be Organized When the Kids Are Young and Not in School?
- 3 Tips for Getting Kids to Their Activities- Prepared and On Time
How to Get Organized With Your Finances
In addition to running the household many of us are responsible for managing the family’s finances- paying the bills, planning and sticking to the household budget, and even managing and tracking the family’s financial investments. But all of that paperwork, filing, and tracking can be overwhelming and can create its own mountain of paper clutter. Here's how to organize your finances, and track your money!
- How to Get Organized for Bill Paying and Tracking
- How to Tackle Monthly Bill Paying and Tracking
- Setting Goals and Managing to a Budget
- 5 Things to Do Before Completing an Online Purchase
Are you ready to get your life organized? Register for Busy Moms Boot Camp!
It's a free series of 10 weekly emails that can help you put some organization back in your life and help you to create room for all of those things that you'd like to be doing- whether that's making time to celebrate the little things with your family or carving out some space for yourself.
Busy Moms Boot Camp can help you to move from chaos to organized! Simply sign up below to get started!
Join the MomOf6 community!
I hope that you found this to be a great resource for you as you work to become the more organized Mom that you want to be and leads you to happier and more fulfilled life!