Is parenting in a large family different than parenting in a regular-sized family? Probably. There's more group herding. There's more laundry. There's a lot more driving around town! But there are these amazing “bonuses” too- like everyone also has someone to play with. To ask for help with homework. To share a room with. But I also think that in many ways- it's not different at all. I always say that parenting takes up all of your time- whether one kid is filling up that space or a dozen!
While I absolutely love being the Mom of a large family- I have to admit we didn't get here because this was my life-long dream or because I grew up in a household with lots of siblings (both my husband and I each have just one brother!) We got here because we found that we just loved being parents!
First we had one child and then quickly became pregnant with another. And 7 months after he was born we joyfully discovered we were expecting again! We had three young boys under the age of 3, and we loved it! And before long we thought to ourselves… “How much harder could one more be?” And so we adopted our sweet daughter Lili.
And then we said to ourselves, “How much harder could one more be?” And so we adopted our beautiful daughter Charlotte. And then we said to ourselves, “How much harder could one more be?” And that's how Alex came to complete our clan!
Large Family Parenting
Am I an expert on this whole “parenting a large family” thing? Heck no! I make mistakes and learn new things about my kids and their dynamics every single day! But I do have some tips to share that might help you as you navigate parenting too- no matter what your family size!
- Why I Love Having a Large Family
- The Best Large Family Car (When You Have 6 Kids!)
- Sibling Rivalry: Why I Don't Even Try to Keep Things Fair Among My Kids
- How I Manage The Kids After School Schedule
- Letting Them Grow Up Part 1 and Letting Them Grow Up Part 2
- How Do You Help Kids with Homework (when you have so many?)
- My Advice on Dealing with Picky Eaters
- Are You Raising Resilient Children?
- How To Be a “Good” Parent in a Large Family: Spreading Yourself Among Your Kids
- How Old Should Kids Be to Play Call of Duty?
- How to Have the Birds and Bees Talk with Your Kids
- Teaching Tweens “Why is Community Service Important?” 15+ Service Projects for Kids!
- How to Keep Medical Records for Your Kids
- 10 Easy and Unexpected Ways to Live a Greener Life
- The Basics of Getting Out and About with the Kids
- Wrangling a Large Family While Seeing the Sights
- Eating Out with a Large Family
- Places I Don't Go With My Large Family!
- 5 Tips for Moms on Surviving a Trip to Chuck E Cheese!
Making Time for Mom!
As busy Moms, we often put ourselves last. Which, quite frankly, can lead to “job burnout”! Here are some ideas to help make yourself a prior
Adoption & Parenting
- Why We Decided to Grow Our Family Through Adoption
- Is Parenting an Adopted Child that Same As Parenting a Biological Child?
- How to Explain Adoption to Your Friends and Family
- 8 Great Books on Adoption Parenting
- Finding the Right Adoption Language for Your Family
Saving Money with a Large Family
- How to Save on Shopping
- How to Save on School and Activities
- How to Save on Hair Care
- 5 Things to Do Before You Complete an Online Purchase
- 5 Tips on How to Grocery Shop for a Large Family
- How to Save on Family Entertainment
- How to Save on Clothes & Shoe Shopping
- How to Handle Clothes & Shoe Shopping for a Large Family
Back to School Ideas
- Back to School Checklist (free printable)
- How to Get Your Home Organized for Back to School
- How to Create a Homework Caddy
- How to Create an Organized Homework Space in the Kitchen
- School Supplies for Middle School and High School– what to keep on hand and how to keep it organized
- How to Organize the Kids Closet for Back to School
- 20 Organized Kids Bedroom Ideas
- Teaching Kids to Clean Their Rooms (in 4 Easy Steps!)
More Resources for Busy Moms!
- Get Organized! A Busy Mom's Ultimate Guide on How to Organize Your Life, Your Family, & Your Home!
- How to Throw Your Own Kids Birthday Parties at Home
- How to Hold a DIY Summer Camp at Home
- Ideas for Great Family Road Trips
- Recipes That Your Kids Will Actually Eat
I hope that you found this to be a great resource to you for parenting your kids- no matter what your family size!