What is better than a big pot of homemade vegetable soup simmering away the day on the stove, filling your home with its delicious scent? Getting to enjoy it with the kids for dinner!
I love this recipe because it is so simple to make- you literally just put all of the ingredients into one big soup pot- and then allow the flavors to meld all day as it simmers.
The beef bones will leave behind some delicious chewy pieces of meat, the potatoes give the soup some bite- and the veggies are just perfect in the broth!
Homemade Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs. beef bones (shin bones)
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 12-oz. can tomato paste
- ½ package of frozen lima beans
- ½ package of frozen peas
- 1 can of sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large stockpot, place the beef bones and salt and add in 8 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove the lid and skim the top.
- Add in onion, carrots, celery, green pepper, potato, and tomato sauce and paste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in remaining frozen and canned vegetables and spices. Continue to simmer for 3-4 hours (covered).
- Before serving, remove shin bones, cut away and chop up any meat remaining on the bones and add back into the soup.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!