A few years ago when I wanted to prepare a few homemade dishes for Chinese New Year, I came across a recipe for chicken in brown sauce. Not sure if my kids would go for it or not- I made a small portion and offered a little “taste test” to my crew- and the moment they tried it- apparently the clouds parted and the angels sang- because my kids declared it to be “good”! “Amazing” even! Buoyed by my great success- I have modified the recipe over the years- and scaled it up a bit to fit my large family. Here's one of our family's favorite dinner recipes– Chicken in Brown Sauce!
How to Make Chicken in Brown Sauce:
It's really not a difficult meal to make! I start by cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces which helps each piece to get fully coated in the amazing sauce! I saute the chicken in a dash of sesame oil on the stovetop until they are lightly browned, but not quite cooked through.
I remove the chicken from the pan, and add the sauce ingredients to the same pan- stirring until the sauce has thickened and is bubbling.
I add the chicken back into the pan, turning it to coat in the sauce, and allow it to simmer for 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. I serve this dish over a bed of steamed rice.
Then be sure to check out this list of my favorite Kitchen Gadgets This is an affiliate link: MomOf6 earns a commission if you purchase, at no additional cost to you. for Busy Moms over on my Amazon influencer page This is an affiliate link: MomOf6 earns a commission if you purchase, at no additional cost to you. !
Chicken in Brown Sauce Recipe
- 8-10 skinless, boneless thin-sliced chicken breasts
- sesame oil (can substitute vegetable oil as well)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 6 T soy sauce
- 4 T brown sugar
- 1½ cups of chicken broth
- 2 T cornstarch
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces with kitchen scissors to make it easier for the kids to eat.
- Lightly brown the chicken pieces in a small amount of sesame oil. Remove the pieces as they are browned and continue in batches until you have lightly browned all of the chicken.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan, and then add the garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, and 1 cup of chicken broth. Cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the remaining ½ cup of chicken broth with the cornstarch. Stir to dissolve the cornstarch. Add the cornstarch mixture to pan on the stove. Cook for one minute to thicken.
- Return the chicken to the pan, stir to coat chicken in the sauce.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!
Diana - Life in German. says
I need to buy the necessary ingredients to make this recipe!
Brandie Didion says
Made tonight for dinner. We liked it.
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know Brandie! It’s on our menu plan this week too!
Made this tonight..huge hit! Thank you!
Yay! Thanks so much for telling me!