For a while now I have been on a search for a delicious homemade tomato soup recipe because I am obsessed with the creamy tomato soup at Panera Bread. When the clock strikes 11:45 am, I start day-dreaming about that soup. I've even driven across town to fulfill this tomato soup craving at least once or twice (this month alone!). Now it's one of my favorite dinners to make for my family!
I tried creating some of the Panera's tomato soup copycat recipes that I found on Pinterest- but they were ultimately disappointing. Until I came across this recipe from Bon Appetit for Creamy Tomato Soup. And it was AMAZING!
I tweaked the recipe just a bit to make it more to my family's liking- and now it's one of our go-to recipes when we are all craving soup!
I start by caramelizing the onions along with the sprigs of thyme (tied together in a bundle with a strip of cheesecloth or kitchen string) in a generous amount of melted butter.
I then add the tomato paste and cook that until it begins to caramelize as well.
Next, you add in the crushed tomatoes and water and allow it to simmer for an hour or so on low, then blend it all together using a stick immersion blender (just be careful not to burn yourself!). Then drizzle in the cream and simmer for another 10 minutes to thicken.
Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe
- ½ stick butter
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 1 small onion
- 1 12oz can of tomato paste
- 2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- In a tall stockpot, melt the butter and add in the onions and the sprigs of thyme (tied together with kitchen string). Stir until the onions became soft and started to caramelize.
- Add in the 12 oz can of tomato paste and continue to saute until the tomato paste begins to caramelize. This step, I believe, is the key to the deep rich flavor in this soup.
- Next, add in the two cans of crushed tomatoes and 8 cups of water. Set the heat to a low simmer and allow it to cook, uncovered, for about an hour, until the amount is reduced to about 8 cups of soup.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs, and using a stick immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth (being careful not to burn yourself!).
- Pour in the ⅓ cup of heavy cream and allow it to simmer and thicken on the stove for another 10 minutes.
This is heaven in a bowl people! If you are a fan of Panera's creamy tomato soup…. you have to try to make this one at home. Trust me…. you won't be disappointed!
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!