Serving breakfast for dinner is a tradition at our house- and this tater tots casserole recipe does not disappoint!
How to Make the Tater Tot Casserole
It's all in the layering!
It starts with a layer of breakfast sausage that has been browned and the grease drained.
Two cups of cheese are sprinkled over the breakfast sausage.
And then an egg and milk mixture is drizzled on top, so as not to disturb the layers.
Then comes a layer of frozen tater tots! Lay them as close together as possible in the pan!
You then bake the casserole for 35 minutes, remove it from the oven and sprinkle on another 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar and crumbled bacon, (because everything is better with bacon!) and return to the oven for another 5-10 minutes until everything is bubbly and golden brown!
Tater Tots Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
- 2½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 lbs. frozen tater tots
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled
- In a 13x9 pan, place the cooked breakfast sausage in the bottom of the pan as the first layer- taking care to make sure that it is spread evenly in the pan.
- Sprinkle 2 cups of the shredded cheddar on top of the sausage.
- in a large bowl, whisk together that whole milk, eggs, pepper, and onion powder- and then slowly pour it into the pan without disturbing the sausage and cheese layer.
- Create a new layer with the frozen tater tots, placing them as close together as possible to cover the entire casserole.
- Bake uncovered in a preheated 350-degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheddar on top, followed by the crumbled bacon. Return the pan to the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and everything is golden brown.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!