I originally learned how to make these homemade Chinese dumplings when I took a workshop at a Lunar New Year Party we attended as a family. The ladies that taught the class were amazing- and had been making dumplings since they were young girls being taught by their mothers! Of course they made their own homemade dumpling wrappers (in addition to the filling), rolling it out into perfect circles that were perfectly even and thin and then quickly adding a dollop of filling before neatly gathering and crimping the edges to make a perfect little bundle.
When I make homemade Chinese dumplings with my kids, we use store-bought wrappers This is an affiliate link: MomOf6 earns a commission if you purchase, at no additional cost to you. to speed up the process a bit.
First we mix together the filling ingredients and then lay out dumpling wrappers on the kitchen table. It is my job to add the heaping teaspoonful of dumpling filling to the center of each wrapper. Each of my helpers has their own small bowl of water mixed with cornstarch, and they dip their finger into the bowl and then moisten the outer edge of the dumpling wrapper…
Before folding the wrapper in half and crimping the edges together to seal the dumpling. My kids are pros at this!
We pan-fry the dumplings in a pan until the bottoms are golden brown, then add 1/4 cup of water to the sizzling pan, and place a lid on top to steam the dumplings for 4-5 minutes. This cooks the filling. Afterward, we remove the lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes until all of the water has cooked off of the pan.
The dumplings are placed in a bowl to cool while we mix together the dipping sauce. It takes serious willpower to give those dumplings time to cool without popping one into your mouth!
Then be sure to check out this list of my favorite Kitchen Gadgets This is an affiliate link: MomOf6 earns a commission if you purchase, at no additional cost to you. for Busy Moms over on my Amazon influencer page This is an affiliate link: MomOf6 earns a commission if you purchase, at no additional cost to you. !
Homemade Chinese Dumplings Recipe
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 4 large Napa cabbage leaves, minced
- 3 stalks of green onion, minced
- 7 shitake mushrooms, minced
- ¼ cup of ginger root, minced
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 T sesame oil
- 2 T cornstarch
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 2 T soy sauce
- 2 t sesame oil
- 1 dash of Siracha
- Mix all of the ingredients together well. It is possible to prepare the filling ahead of time and freeze it. Defrost before preparing the dumplings.
- Put a heaping teaspoonful of filling into the center of the wrapper. Pour a ¼ cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon of cornstarch into a shallow dish and dip your finger into the starchy water to moisten the outer edge of the wrapper (all around the circular edge). Fold the wrapper in half, creating a semi-circle with the filling inside, and gently pinch the edges of the wrapper together, sealing them completely. Gather the sealed edges and pleat them together to form the edge of the dumpling.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Once hot (but not smoking) add your dumplings to the pan, smooth side down, and cook for a few minutes until the bottom turns golden brown. Add about ¼ cup of water to the skillet, cover with a lid, and steam the dumplings for 4-5 minutes to cook the filling. Remove the lid and cook for another 2-3 minutes until all of the water has cooked off.
- Mix together the rice vinegar and sesame oil with soy sauce, and a little Siracha for those that like a little heat.
My mouth is watering for these again just by writing this post! They are oh-so-good!
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!
If you are looking for some more yummy Chinese New Year recipes to create for your family- be sure to check out this post: 10 Ideas for Chinese New Year Food!
Kaity Kate says
Great food! I’m sure that my children will love it. So yummy!
Tim Sienna says
Wow great recipe! These dumplings look great. Did you try them with spicy sauce? They taste great with spices.