One of our favorites restaurant side dishes is Texas Cheese Fries– which is a delicious marriage of crispy french fries covered in melted cheese, topped with chopped bacon, and served with ranch dip! I'm not saying it's the healthiest of menu choices- but they sure are tasty! We've found a way to recreate this dish at home, using our air fryer- which cuts back on the fat and calories since we don't use any oil!
We purchased our air fryer last year, and we use it at least once a week. The model we own uses a paddle to gently stir the fries as they cook, so they brown evenly- and since the pop window doesn't steam up, you can keep an eye on them as they “air fry.”
While the fries are “air frying,” I prepare the bacon in our toaster oven. If you cook just a few slices on a tray lined with non-stick foil, it is fast, and cleanup is super easy!
I also preheat the oven set to broil- so I can quickly melt the cheese when the fries are done!
Air Fryer Texas Cheese Fries Recipe:
- 1 package of seasoned frozen french fries (2 lb bag)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (sharp)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked, cooled, and crumbled
- Ranch dressing
- Prepare the seasoned fries using the instructions included in your air fryer. (For frozen fries, I usually air fry them for 20 minutes, and use NO oil!
- While the fries are cooking, prepare the bacon in a toaster oven- cooking until crispy. Drain, allow to cool, and then chop or crumble.
- Place the air-fried fries on a baking sheet lined in non-stick foil, and sprinkle the two types of shredded cheese on top of the fries. Place in the oven set to broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts and becomes bubbly.
- Top with crumbled bacon and serve with a side of ranch dressing for dipping.
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!