Homemade butterscotch sauce is truly my very favorite ice cream topping. I also love butterscotch candy, butterscotch pudding, butterscotch cookies- pretty much any kind of dessert involving butterscotch! I quite often make this at the same time I make a batch of hot fudge sauce– which is my kids' favorite topping- and that way I get to keep all of the butterscotch sauce recipe for myself!
The first time I made this recipe, I was all, “OH MY! This is the BEST butterscotch sauce I have EVER tasted!”
And after devouring a good portion of that first batch myself- I decided it would make for a delicious holiday gift for my book club friends!
Homemade Butterscotch Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the brown sugar and stir until smooth (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add in the heavy cream, stirring constantly until the sauce has thickened (about 10-12 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Allow to cool before canning.
- This sauce should be stored in the refrigerator.
I dare you not to just eat it by the spoonful!
Looking for More Recipes that Kids Will Actually Eat?
Then check out my Recipes page for breakfasts, dinners, desserts, and more that have been Rowley family approved!